Hello my good people! Our Surf Challenge is quickly approaching this June and I’ve come to realize that we have an even bigger challenge on our hands. A lot of you have expressed to me that you can’t swim or don’t swim that well. And you’ve expressed a desire to learn how to swim.
It’s no shocker that statistically People of color swim less that the general populace for many reasons. I was terrified of water too from a near drowning experience when I was young. I decided to face my fear 2 years ago and signed up for lessons and today it’s thing of the past. So if you have this fear too, you should know you can definitely conquer it.
Group swim is a hard thing to plan! From research, due to pricing and full lottery systems etc Echo Park looks like a great bet and it’s a nice facility if you can get to the location which is close to Queens.
Adult Classes @ Echo Park Pool (Disregard the lvl#’s) $54.50 ttl/8 Lessons (Best Price & Great facility!) Bring Check
1. Beginner (Lvl2) Mondays 7:30pm – 8:15pm
2. Intermediate (Lvl3) Mondays 8:30pm – 9:15pm
3. Advanced (Lvl4) Fridays 8:30pm – 9:15pm
If you can get to it Echo park is probably your best bet!
Thanks for all you input. I’ll be taking the Echo park pool lessons. Comment below!
Some Other Nyc Pools
1. JCC $296 members (~9 Classes), $376 Non-members
2. Nyc Pools $75 for 6 months/ $150/ yr. Learn to swim lottery System currently session already started and has a long wait-list. Can apply for next session (~March start). #7187606969 Ext 0
3. Flushing Meadows Pool – Lottery wait list is 6-8 months long unless you’re already in a class there.
4. Vanderbilt YMCA – $140 members (1X/wk for 8 wks), $230 Non-members (1X/wk for 8 wks) Or $235 members (2X/wk for 8 wks), $405 Non-members (2X/wk for 8 wks). Other YMCS’s may have different pricing but this gives you an idea.
5. 92St Y – ~$315 (Call for more details)
If you signed up for our surf challenge in June know that there is a minimum required swim skill level. And even if you didn’t sign up you should do this for you and to unlock a new year of possibilities!
We will have other water activities coming up such as kayaking etc and you will feel more comfortable if you can swim for them.
Echo Park Pool Complex
Adventures, deals and more right to your inbox